- Beyond Good & Evil 2 Artwork Teased
- Swedish Politicians Duke it Out in StarCraft II Tournament
- Dark Souls 2 for PC Reportedly Delayed a Week
- Mornin '14
- World of Darkness MMO Laid Off with Employees
- Civilization: Beyond Earth Announced, Trailer & Shots Released
- FEATURE: New Generation Games We're Excited About In 2014
- DICE Investigating Death Shield Bug in Battlefield 4
- Visceral Games Adds Co-Writer for Upcoming Star Wars Game
- Grave Indie Game Coming to PC & Xbox One
EA and DICE only released one DLC map pack for Battlefield 4, but it's catching heat and being accused of further inflaming a cultural war. EA just can't get a break for this game.
Chinese military newspaper Zhongguo Guofangbao has accused the China Rising map pack of "discrediting China's image abroad and distorting the truth." The South China Morning Post published an editorial that said that in regards to China Rising, "the use of video games ... to discredit one country's image in the eyes of other countries is a new form of cultural penetration and aggression." The newspapers further claim that the expansion will make western audiences view all Chinese as a common enemy.
"When western countries would make war games in the past, they would settle on Russia if they needed an imaginary enemy," the editorial continued. "But in recent years, with the boosting of China's national strength, China threat theories run rampant, and foreign companies are increasingly keen to put the Sino-US conflict in their games as a gimmick to attract attention."
In the Zhongguo Guofangbao article, Ma Zhengang, vice director for the China Public Diplomacy Association, suggested that "in order to deal with western preconceptions of China...[the Chinese] need to rise up, share China's voice...[and] resist video game media that puts China in a bad light."
The editorial doesn't suggest how they should resist these games, whether it's by not buying them or by actively protesting them and drawing in more negative media attention. Either way, it's probably a good thing EA and DICE have halted future DLC for the time being.
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP