- Free Version of Xbox Music Getting Cut
- Xbox One Snapshot Feature in 2015
- Movie Time - Avengers: Age of Ultron Debut Trailer
- The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Intro Teaser
- Titanfall Update to Add...Co-op
- Mornin '14
- FEATURE: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel OST Review
- Halo: Nightfall Trailer
- RUMOR: GTA San Andreas Going to Xbox 360
- Gamelock Introduces Guaranteed Resell Prices for Games
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare A New Era of MP Trailer
- Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Arrives Next Week
- Judge Rules That EA's Confidence in BF4 Launch is Not Securities Fraud
Big-time video game publisher Activision invested approximately $500 million in the upcoming multiplayer shooter Destiny, which is being developed by prominent development studio Bungie (curse them for never making a new Myth game). Anyway, the money has gone into developing and marketing Destiny until it hits stores in September this year.
That's an impressive budget, even for a triple-A title. Most of the Call of Duty games had substantial budgets and yet they never had a budget this high. In fact, games like GTA V cost around $270 million to make.
"If you're making a $500 million bet you can't take that chance with someone else's IP. The stakes for us are getting bigger," said Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.
So, yeah, while this is basically just Kotick waving his cock around, one has to wonder why all that fucking money was necessary in the first place - especially, when you consider that certain crowd-funded game projects manage to gather pretty darn huge bundles of cash. Well, ya know like the space shooter, Star Citizen, for instance, which recently surpassed a staggering $43 million in funding. Admittedly, Star Citizen is in a crap state at the moment, but that's beside the point.
Check out the latest developer diary for Destiny.
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP