- Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward Benchmark Software Check Available
- Shocker: Gears of War Remastered in the Pipeline
- REVIEW: Grand Theft Auto 5
- Silent Hills Officially Canned
- Halo: Master Chief Collection Tournament Canceled Due to Connectivity Problems
- Batman: Arkham Knight All Who Follow You Trailer
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 Official Reveal Trailer
- Mornin '15
- COMIC: Chewie, We're Home
Big-time video game publisher Activision invested approximately $500 million in the upcoming multiplayer shooter Destiny, which is being developed by prominent development studio Bungie (curse them for never making a new Myth game). Anyway, the money has gone into developing and marketing Destiny until it hits stores in September this year.
That's an impressive budget, even for a triple-A title. Most of the Call of Duty games had substantial budgets and yet they never had a budget this high. In fact, games like GTA V cost around $270 million to make.
"If you're making a $500 million bet you can't take that chance with someone else's IP. The stakes for us are getting bigger," said Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.
So, yeah, while this is basically just Kotick waving his cock around, one has to wonder why all that fucking money was necessary in the first place - especially, when you consider that certain crowd-funded game projects manage to gather pretty darn huge bundles of cash. Well, ya know like the space shooter, Star Citizen, for instance, which recently surpassed a staggering $43 million in funding. Admittedly, Star Citizen is in a crap state at the moment, but that's beside the point.
Check out the latest developer diary for Destiny.
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP