- Beyond Good & Evil Sequel Still Very Much Alive
- Sacred 3 Launch Trailer
- Voting Poll: Cheaper Games
- Call of Duty: DLC, DLC... DLC?
- FIFA 15 Agility and Control Trailer
- Mornin '14
- New BioWare Teaser Emerges
- Rayman Creator Forms New Studio
- PlayStation Sales Improve Sony's Financial Results
- Gearbox Ask Aliens Colonial Marines Lawsuit to be Dropped
- Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 4 Pre-order via Steam
- F1 2014 Announced, Trailer & Screens Released
- Shadow of Mordor The Wraith Trailer
- Square Enix Reveals Gamescom Line-up, No Deus Ex
GameStop would like to get into funding development of exclusive video game content for retail games, such as for preorder incentives, but the CEO has strongly emphasized that they do not want to get into telling the developers what to do.
"You won't see us involved in the creative process. That's not something we do well," CEO Paul Raines told Time magazine. "I think we'd be foolish to tell developers how to develop games or publishers how to bring product to market. That's what they do extremely well. What we'll do well is put capital at risk and help distribute and connect with PowerUp Rewards customers. That's really the extent of what we're talking about."
Basically, GameStop wants to encourage the retailer-based preorder incentives, which are often DLC, extra weapons, or physical collectibles. What better way to do so than to offer to pony up the cash to make them happen.
"When you think about the business of gaming and the cost of developing games, we think there's an opportunity to put capital at risk with publishers and developers in exchange for exclusive content that would be distributed through our online platforms, in stores, our download business, et cetera," he explained.
I'm personally not a fan of retailer-specific incentives, because I often want everything. I am curious if Amazon or Best Buy will also get into this action in offering money to developers in exchange for exclusive content. Ugh, that could be a nightmare.
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP