- REVIEW: Blues and Bullets
- Forza 6 TV Commercial
- Broken Sword 5 Now Available for New Gen Consoles
- Server Issues Fixed on Xbox One MGS5
- Taken King Crucible Free Next Week
- GTA Movie Gets First Trailer
- Need for Speed Gameplay Five Ways To Play Trailer
- Batman: Akrham Knight Interim Patch is Here, For Real This Time
- Mornin '15
- Harmonix Joins Fig Crowdfunding
- Borderlands Added to Xbox One Backwards Compatibility
- Q.U.B.E.: Director's Cut PS4 Code Giveaway
- REVIEW: Madden NFL 16 Review
- Batman Arkham Knight PC Patch Released, Then Pulled
- Witcher Universe on Sale at GOG.com
- New Mortal Kombat X DLC for 2016
Recently, Mojang made new exceptions to its EULA allowing servers to charge for use, something that was previously against the rules, as the EULA prohibits anyone from making money off of the game. Many players were outraged at these new changes, and some even went as far as calling Mojang "literally worse than EA."
Notch reached out to explain why Mojang changed its mind on this one particular issue.
For starters, privately owned servers cannot charge for items that may affect gameplay, charge for in-game currency, or restrict certain features of the game behind a paywall. Servers can run advertisements, accept donations, charge single entrance fees, or subscription fees.
"We had discussions about it internally, and eventually had a big meeting where we said that yes, people running servers are a huge part of what makes Minecraft so special, and that they need to be able to pay for the servers," Notch explained. "So we came up with all sorts of ways this could be done without ruining the 'you don't pay for gameplay' aspect of Minecraft we all find so important."
"There are new rules," he continued. "These are new exceptions to the EULA. All of these make the rules more liberal than things were before."
It makes sense to me, as those who run premium servers on their own dime should be at least compensated for keeping the servers running. Does that really make Mojang literally worse than EA?
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP