- Evolve Big Alpha On PS4 and PC Today
- Nordic Games Acquires de Blob IP from THQ
- FEATURE: Fantasia: Music Evolved OST Review
- Playable The Evil Within PC Demo
- Denis Dyack Creates Third Studio for Shadow of the Eternals
- Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition Ships
- P.T. Free on PlayStation Store
- Bethesda Officially Cancels Prey 2
- Halloween Steam Sale is On!
- Mornin '14
- The Dragon Age Keep is Open
- November's Games with Gold
- Assassin's Creed Unity Time Anomalies Trailer
- Randal's Monday Voice Actor Trailer
- Blizzard Believes World of Warcraft Will be Around in 2024
- REVIEW: The Evil Within
- First Shadow of Mordor DLC Info Revealed
- Zoe Quinn Calls for Gaming Companies to Speak Out Against GamerGate
- Assassin's Creed Unity Trailer Features Celeb Co-op
After Microsoft purchased developer Rare, it's rather safe to say it hasn't been the same. Xbox Chief Phil Spencer wants to bring Rare back to its glory days.
"I'm a Rare fan from the N64 days - that's kind of where my relationship with them was built," he told CVG. "The range of genres that Rare exceeded at on N64 was crazy; you go from GoldenEye, to Conker and Banjo, Diddy Kong Racing... they were all over the place and they nailed a wide variety of genres. So I don't see them as a 'certain genre' studio: their strength has always been in their diversity."
He also emphasized that he doesn't want Rare to solely focus on Kinect Sports titles from here on out.
Right now with Rare we're at a point where I don't want the Rare brand to mean Kinect Sports. The Rare brand can be more valuable to them, to us and to gamers than that. I think it's about them thinking about the next game that's going to be the next 'Rare game' and really stand for what they are. I know they've got some great ideas. I've not been up to Twycross for maybe six months, but I'm planning on getting up there this fall and seeing bits for the new game. But I know they're hard at work and Phil Harrison has been up talking to them. So they've got some new ideas, they're excited about them and I think Rare should, can and will be an important part of our game future.
Looks like Spencer really is trying to make good on his promise to keep the focus of Xbox on games and the gamer. At the very least, it's good first step with Rare.
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP