- Microsoft Offering $500K for New HoloLens Apps
- Street Fighter V Beta Details
- No More Dragon Age: Inquisition Content for the Last Gen
- Journey Journeys to PS4 This Month
- The Witcher 3 Patch Arriving This Week
- FEATURE: 5 Things the FFVII Remake Will Most Likely Remove from the Original
- No Man's Sky Looks Better And Better
- Mornin '15
- Shenmue Creator 'Won't Be' Disappointed if Shenmue Doesn't Raise $10M
- Star Citizen Exec Producer Leaving?
- The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for PS4 Drops Next Week
- Minecraft: Story Mode Releasing Later This Year
- Bloodborne Patch 1.05 Will Improve Matchmaking
- Predator Bundle for Mortal Kombat X Releases July 7th
- ARK: Survival Evolved Tops Steam Sales
Looking at sales charts, the Wii U is in a grim place. It has rocked unsteadily on the edge of both success and failure. But there is still hope.
Destructoid Writer Jonathan Holmes shared via Twitter that he's heard rumblings of Nintendo giving out free Wii U development kits. His Tweet says:
Hearing more and more stories of Nintendo giving developers free Wii U dev kits. I hope devs take advantage of that.
The Wii U dev kit is rumored to sell for $5,000 and includes a development console with tools to create games. It was originally delivered to developers in May 2012 lending them only months to create titles before the console's arrival on store shelves.
If there's one area where the Wii U is in dire need of improvement its with its library. It has a few exclusives, but has been extremely slow to garner support from third-party studios. If this were two ore more generations ago third-parties wouldn't be critical, but now they are. Nintendo can't simply ignore external studios and expect to compete in the current climate.
If the rumors are true, this move might attract developers, but probably only independent studios. Publishers are still hesitant to put effort into the platform after seeing how abysmal its attachment rate is. But with fewer than a dozen releases in the first half of 2013 any games are good games.
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP