- The Dragon Age Keep is Open
- November's Games with Gold
- Assassin's Creed Unity Time Anomalies Trailer
- Randal's Monday Voice Actor Trailer
- Blizzard Believes World of Warcraft Will be Around in 2024
- REVIEW: The Evil Within
- First Shadow of Mordor DLC Info Revealed
- Zoe Quinn Calls for Gaming Companies to Speak Out Against GamerGate
- Assassin's Creed Unity Trailer Features Celeb Co-op
- Mornin '14
- Assassin's Creed Unity NVIDIA-Flavored Trailer
- Sony Investigating Issues with PS4 Update 2.0
- Halo 2 Anniversary Trailer
- Star Citizen Now Has $59 Million
- Destiny The Dark Below Expansion Detailed
- Crusader: No Remorse For Free
- Noriega Lawsuit Dismissed
- Dying Light PS3 & 360 Cancelled
- Star Wars: Battlefront Set for Holiday 2015
Looking at sales charts, the Wii U is in a grim place. It has rocked unsteadily on the edge of both success and failure. But there is still hope.
Destructoid Writer Jonathan Holmes shared via Twitter that he's heard rumblings of Nintendo giving out free Wii U development kits. His Tweet says:
Hearing more and more stories of Nintendo giving developers free Wii U dev kits. I hope devs take advantage of that.
The Wii U dev kit is rumored to sell for $5,000 and includes a development console with tools to create games. It was originally delivered to developers in May 2012 lending them only months to create titles before the console's arrival on store shelves.
If there's one area where the Wii U is in dire need of improvement its with its library. It has a few exclusives, but has been extremely slow to garner support from third-party studios. If this were two ore more generations ago third-parties wouldn't be critical, but now they are. Nintendo can't simply ignore external studios and expect to compete in the current climate.
If the rumors are true, this move might attract developers, but probably only independent studios. Publishers are still hesitant to put effort into the platform after seeing how abysmal its attachment rate is. But with fewer than a dozen releases in the first half of 2013 any games are good games.
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP