- Lionsgate is Working on Borderlands Movie
- XCOM 2 Delayed to 2016
- We Still Have Keys for Rainbow Six Siege Giveaway!
- Cities: Skylines Gets New Expansion Trailer at PAX
- Double Fine Announces Headlander
- LawBreakers Gameplay Reveal Trailer
- Fassbender Suits up for Assassin's Creed Role
- Mornin '15
- R. Mika Added to Street Fighter V Roster
- Yager Appears to Have Massive Layoffs
- This War of Mine: the Little Ones Going to Consoles Next Year
- Total War: Warhammer Will Have Dwarves
- Street Fighter V Worldwide Beta Test Starts Tomorrow
- FEATURE: The Importance of Reading Halo Books
- The Witcher 3 Sold 6 Million Copies
- REVIEW: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
- Trine 3 Devs Make an Apology Video
Twitch has been angering users right and left this week. First they decide to no longer hold archived streams indefinitely, and now they're muting music in archived streems. They're taking a YouTube-like approach, in that they are trying to stop the unlawful use of copyrighted music in their site's streams. Their algorithm is a bit wonky, and several streams have had incorrect mutings, such as some of Twitch's own content (which is hilarious).
In an AMA on Reddit, Twitch CEO Emmet Shear explained that some what they've been muted has been a mistake and they are looking into the problem. They wan to mute any music played in the background or non-in-game music (what they're calling "ambient music").
"We have absolutely no intention of flagging songs due to original in-game music," he wrote in the AMA. "If that's happening (and it appears it is), it's a problem and we will investigate and try to fix it."
When asked why they were muting music at all, he explained, "Because we care about you and your viewers, and we want every broadcaster on Twitch to be protected from potential liability. No matter how remote you might feel the issue is, we aren't willing to run the risk someone's life gets ruined over this."
They may be covering their users butts, but they're definitely covering their own why they're at it.
|COMMENTS PAGE 1|
BACK TO TOP