ACTIONTRIP NEWS RSS
USER     PASSWORD
 Forgot username or password? Click here.
AT COMIC: Dead Space Survival Horror Comments

It's not the Necromorphs you have to worry about.

AT COMIC: Dead Space Survival Horror

submit to reddit

11 post(s)
Reader Comments
Doomsday. Feb 11 2013, 09:46 am EST
lol! Really, that much loot?!
  Vader: It would seem so, yes. Just don't play on Normal that…
Zulu Feb 11 2013, 09:48 am EST
Yup.
Killer Klown Feb 11 2013, 09:51 am EST
I dunno, I just didn't like this one as much. I understand that they wanted to appease the action game crowd by making it more action oriented - but it really ended up feeling like a run with your gun scenario. I considered it a point of pride that I made it through both DS 1 and 2 using nothing but the plasmacutter; in this one... I just didn't care.
  Vader: Kind of the feeling I'm getting.
Vader [STAFF] Feb 11 2013, 09:54 am EST
Anyway, I've decided to persevere because I want to unlock every one of those damn suits. I love the damn suits... Well, every suit except the retarded N7 shite.
touretul Feb 11 2013, 12:36 pm EST
is there any bow tie suit there? one that is really gay, salmon pink, with purple bow tie.
it must be. it should.
RenegadeCZ Feb 11 2013, 03:08 pm EST
Well, I found the first Dead Space just boring to play, but tolerable otherwise. DS2 was just a blank piece of shit. Soooo, DS3? I won't even bother pirating it.

Ah, damn FEAR 1. I hope I'll live to see a horror FPS as good as that.

And don't even get me started on FEAR 2 and 3. I once showed FEAR 2 to a friend of mine, who doesn't play so much, but he loved the original game. With the second one he was like wtf, where did the scary atmosphere go. Shit, I'm still pissed about those sequels.
  Vader: At least you remember them. I forgot them completely.…
Cheddar Feb 11 2013, 03:14 pm EST
FEAR 1 wasn't scary either, once you realized that Alma sightings were really just a harmless mini-game since she never actually attacks.

Anyway, are we not counting Amnesia as a horror FPS? Or Penumbra? If the requirement for categorization is the ability to actually shoot things, then ironically that just highlights why all these other offerings ultimately fall flat: when the player has too much ability to effectively defend him/herself, it just becomes an action game with pretensions of horror.

But unfortunately, that's exactly what sells best to the mainstream gamer. Many people literally just can't handle a truly a scary video-game; they flat out won't play it. I have real life friends that are an exact case in point.
  Vader: Actually, now that I think of it. I enjoyed FEAR 2.
Cheddar: Well, while I think making Alma attack was a step in …
Killer Klown Feb 11 2013, 03:14 pm EST
It's very difficult to scare me or make me jump these days, but I consider it a mark of a good horror game if it can make me paranoid. DS 1 did that wonderfully; between the things sucking you through vent shafts, or the hidden chest-eater beasts stuck to walls. It wasn't lame attempts at shock horror (Like the dead babies in 2), but it was something that had you checking every vent shaft, taking that much more time when you went around corners or down dark corridors, and the like. It actually set up a good atmosphere of _tension_, even if not fear, and that's sometimes good enough. 2 seemed to degrade to slasher horror, although I will admit some of the setpieces were wonderful. It just seemed that once they resolved the issue with Isaac's old girlfriend, though, there was nowhere left to go.
Cedtsmk Feb 11 2013, 05:41 pm EST
Apparently at the end of chapter 8 there's this trick where you can get free loot. No problems with doing this. If a game has microtransactions and that sort of stuff, I feel nothing when I use tricks like this.
Shpongle Feb 12 2013, 04:44 am EST
Try Path Of Exile
PigMaster Feb 12 2013, 02:32 pm EST
this comic is scary.
i dont watch horror movies
dont like them